PGDx is looking for a Patent Agent to drive the processes for patent applications. The successful candidate will be a self-starter who can work with various levels of management using strong analytical skills and is detailed oriented.
- Develop a deep understanding of the Company’s various products and services, such as diagnostic reagents and bioinformatics.
- Assess invention disclosures and conduct prior art analysis to develop invention disclosures and select for submission to patent committee.
- Participate in regular patent committee meetings to review invention disclosures and make patent operational decisions with technical leads.
- Stay current with patent law changes and support development, maintenance, and education of best practices for US and worldwide patent systems.
- Review and manage outside counsel following outside counsel guidelines and budget for preparation and prosecution of patent applications.
- Manage office actions, foreign filing decisions, appeals, continuations, new filings, and occasionally draft applications to ensure compliance with varying global patent prosecution and enforcement systems.
- Assist in implementing on the patent strategy for mitigating patent risk and leveraging the patent portfolio to meet business goals.
- Participate in and drive processes for strategic and quality review of preparation and prosecution of patent applications.
- Support case development for licensing and patent litigation in support of competitive threats and targets within the scope of IP strategy.
- Assist in analysis of applications/patents being considered for use in licensing.
- Assist in the maintenance and management of the corporate trademark portfolio.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- B.S. in Chemistry, Biology, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and/or experience in diagnostics or the life sciences industry.
- A minimum of 1-2 years of patent preparation and prosecution experience of software applications.
- Exposure and/or passion to learn the Company’s technologies.
- Solid understanding of U.S. patent laws and USPTO procedures.
- Proficiency with USPTO electronic systems
- Possess qualifications or desire to sit for the USPTO Patent Bar examination for registration as patent agent.
- Exposure to foreign patent laws and/or patent office systems.
- Fluency in English language and excellent communication skills, particularly written communication skills.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Experience conducting invention disclosure/harvesting/mining sessions with inventors.
- Strong organizational skills, e.g., maintaining attention to detail on multiple projects simultaneously, and the ability to adjust to changing priorities and deadlines.
- Ability to quickly assimilate and understand complex situations and information, including highly technical information.
- Able to quickly establish credibility, respect and trust with internal clients/stakeholders and external service providers and business partners.
- Strong sense of ownership, integrity and a bias for action.
ABOUT PERSONAL GENOME DIAGNOSTICS
Personal Genome Diagnostics (PGDx) empowers the fight against cancer by unlocking actionable information
from the genome. We are committed to developing a portfolio of regulated tissue-based and liquid biopsy
genomic products for laboratories worldwide. PGDx was established by internationally-recognized cancer
researchers Dr. Luis Diaz and Dr. Victor Velculescu, who are pioneers in the application of innovative genomic
technologies for drug development and clinical practice.
Please submit applications (cover letter and resume) to HR@personalgenome.com
Special consideration will be given to internal PGDx employees who apply.
APPLY FOR JOB